In Poustinia: A Novel, Amanda and Kate make a special supper for Vicki and Myra. Both girls like to cook and plan to attend culinary school together. For dessert, they offered a delicious warm apple crisp, like the recipe below. It’s so easy to make, and is festive for any occasion.
- 4 cups medium tart cooking apples 4 apples, cored and sliced
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup softened butter or margarine
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease bottom and sides of 8-inch square pan with shortening or cooking spray.
2. Spread apples in pan. In medium bowl, stir remaining ingredients until well-mixed; sprinkle over apples.
3. Bake about 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a fork.